St. Alphonsus Mary de Liguori Parish is a Christian parish located at Humabon Place, Magallanes Village, Makati City. It is a place of worship within the Archdiocese of Manila which provides spiritual and pastoral services for the Catholic community. It also offers baptismal rites, birthday celebrations and wedding ceremonies, as well as open spaces for different seminars.
It also has a funeral chapel with a columbarium where the ashes of the departed peacefully remain. The church has a special place for the Garden Stations of the Cross—made by famous Filipino artists—as a reminder of the selfless sacrifice of Jesus to mankind.
The parish upholds a vision to become “a community of persons with fullness of life” and continues to stay true to its mission to become a “Christian community of disciples and a church of the poor.”
History of the Church
The Patron Saint: St. Alphonsus
St. Alphonsus serves as the principal patron saint of the church of the same name. Born in 1696 as Alfonso Maria de Liguori, the humble saint hailed from and was raised in Naples, Italy. At a young age, he was seen as a brilliant and promising student who was always hungry for knowledge.
He pursued law during his school days but later turned to philosophy and theology, dedicating the rest of his life to religion and spirituality. He was ordained at age 29 and founded the Redemptorists Order, a congregation of missionaries who devoted their lives in helping the poor and the abandoned.
The Parish: A “mustard seed” sprouting from its humble beginnings
St. Alphonsus was built and blessed on August 2, 1967. The first church parish was subsequently established in 1986 and was designed by National Artist for Architecture Leandro Locsin. In 1988, Msgr. Ferdinand Mempin became the first appointed Parish Priest of the congregation.
The Parish faced a difficult situation as the structure burned to the ground in 2004. But with faith undeterred, the community was able to raise enough funds and construct a makeshift bahay kubo which served as their temporary religious sanctuary for the next 3 years. The church rose from the ashes and was fully rebuilt one year later, and was designed by Architect Dominic Galicia.
Events: Mass Celebrations and Wedding Ceremonies
Aside from the regular mass celebrations, wedding ceremonies are also held in St. Alphonsus in Makati. The church’s arched structure and sophisticated architectural design, which invite a calming and spiritual ambience make it a perfect place for such a special occasion.
Wedding Schedule, Requirements and Price
The following are requirements for wedding ceremonies at St. Alphonsus (lifted from their website):
- Updated Birth Certificate and Certificate of No Marriage Record (CENOMAR) original copy from the National Statistic Office. (Please request 2 copies each: (1) for the church & (1) for application of Marriage License [#6]).
- Baptismal & Confirmation Certificates are requested from the parishes where both parties were baptized and confirmed. Each certificates must marked with “For Marriage Purposes Only” issued not later than six (6) months.
- Interview: The couple is required to undergo canonical interview with our priest at least two (2) months before the wedding. Set appointment with the Parish Secretary after the requirements (no. 1 & 2) have been submitted.
- Pre-Cana Seminar: In preparation to marriage, the couple is required to attend this seminar. Ask the Parish Office regarding the schedule of Pre-Cana seminar here in the Parish. The couple may attend seminar from other parish. Discovery Weekend and Catholic Engagement Encounter are acceptable. Certificate of Attendance to any of the seminars may be submitted to the Parish Office.
- Marriage Banns are public announcements of the forthcoming marriage. Banns must be posted for three consecutive weeks at the bulletin board of the couple’s respective parishes at least a month before the wedding. A permission from the Bride’s Parish Priest is sought in writing after the Banns have been made.
- Marriage License is requested from the City/Municipal Office where either of the couple resides. Must be valid only for 120 days upon issue. If the couple is already civilly married, an NSO authenticated copy of present Marriage Contract must be submitted together with the other requirements.
- List of Sponsors: A complete list of full name and address of sponsors must be submitted at least a month before the wedding date.
- ID Pictures: Submit 1 piece 2 x 2 colored picture taken recently.
- Review of Marriage Contract: Before the final printing, the couple is requested to check and review the data on the Certificate of Marriage. This is done during the orientation. (Must attend: Maid/Matron of Honor, Best Man, Wedding Coordinator, if possible).
- Confession: A week before the wedding, the couple is required to make a good confession at the church of their preference.
Here are the terms and conditions provided by the congregation in terms of the scheduling and pricing for wedding ceremonies:
- Reservation is a “First come-first serve” basis. Reservation fee of Php 5,000.00 will be required to block the date and time chosen which must be confirmed in one week, otherwise the tentative booking will be cancelled and the reservation fee forfeited.
- Downpayment of Php 11,000 is given upon submission of the required docs. Balance is payable two (2) month before the wedding date. NOTE: Downpayment will be forfeited in case of cancellation of the wedding.
- Bride and Groom “to-be” must attend the required canonical interview and counseling sessions with the priest of this church. Failure to attend without due notice will result to the Cancellation of the Wedding date.
- 2 months or 60 days before the wedding, all documents should be completely submitted free from discrepancies (except for the Banns and Permits which can be submitted two (2) weeks before the wedding at the latest) otherwise the wedding may have to be postponed or cancelled.
- Notify the Parish Office should you have your own priest. ONLY A PRIEST WITH VALID ‘LICENSE TO SOLEMNIZE MARRIAGE’ AND OF GOOD STANDING AS EVIDENCED BY A VALID ‘CELEBRET’ WILL BE ALLOWED TO BE INVITED. THE COUPLE MUST GET THESE DOCUMENTS FROM THEIR INVITED PRIEST.
- Parish clearance for marriage may only be given to 21 years old and above.
- Only the Nuptial Rites approved by the National Liturgical Commission using the new Roman Missal can be used in the wedding. The template of the misalette will be send thru email.
- The whole entourage should be present at the church thirty (30) minutes before the wedding starts. Those who are to read during the Rites must coordinate with the Sacristan Major.
- The ceremony will start EXACTLY at the scheduled time. (Marching of the entourage should start 15 minutes before the scheduled time).
- Wedding Coordinator/Planner and florist must arrange with the Parish Office Manager regarding particular preparations and plans preferred in the church or during the rites. Prohibitions in decorations or set-up that will damage church property will be taken off and charged to the couple.
- Guest singers must provide for their own accompaniment and must coordinate with the parish Sacristan Mayor for any equipment to be attached to the church sound system which would require permission from Parish Office.
- Shower of petals, coins, bubbles, etc., may be done at the church entrance only. Use of rice is strictly prohibited.
- The wedding dress of the bride should be proper for the sacred rites of the church.
- Inform the Parish Office immediately for any suspicious looking visitor to avoid theft.
Regular Mass Schedule
The following is a chart for the regular schedule for the Holy Mass at St. Alphonsus:
|07:00 AM – 08:00 AM||06:30 AM – 07:30 AM||06:30 AM – 07:30 AM||06:30 AM – 07:30 AM||06:30 AM – 07:30 AM||06:30 AM – 07:30 AM||06:30 AM – 07:30 AM|
|08:30 AM – 09:30 AM||12:15 PM – 01:15 PM||12:15 PM – 01:15 PM||12:15 PM – 01:15 PM||12:15 PM – 01:15 PM||12:15 PM – 01:15 PM||12:15 PM – 01:15 PM|
|Alphaland (First Friday only)|
|10:00 AM – 11:00 AM||06:00 PM – 07:00 PM||06:00 PM – 07:00 PM||06:00 PM – 07:00 PM||06:00 PM – 07:00 PM||12:15 PM – 01:15 PM||06:00 PM – 07:00 PM|
|11:00 AM – 12:00 PM||06:00 PM – 07:00 PM|
|11:30 AM – 12:30 PM|
|04:30 PM – 05:30 PM|
|06:00 PM – 07:00 PM|
|07:30 PM – 08:30 PM|
|09:00 PM – 10:00 PM|