Learning Hadoop online through tutorial and with guaranteed Hadoop certification have been quite a trend for quite a few years in the world of internet for its vital ability of storing enormous amount of data in no time. And also because of the internet, even a non-geek can learn the ins and outs of Hadoop online with modules that are offered free.
But really, what is Hadoop?
Did you know that the word Hadoop was after the name of the yellow toy elephant owned by the son of one of its inventors?
But this open-source Java-based software framework created by Doug Cutting and Mike Cafarella works as a data storage and runs applicants on cluster of commodity of hardware has the power to handle virtually limitless concurrent tasks or jobs, thus you’re no-joke yellow toy elephant. Hadoop makes it possible to run applications on systems with thousands of commodity hardware nodes, and to handle thousands of terabytes of data.
As the world of internet continuously store large data and pages of information, software developers created an automated distribution of data storage and processing to be able to regroup this data in accordance to their relativity. One of the created software was Nutch which is divided by the web crawler portion called Nutch also, and the distributed computing and processing portion Hadoop.
Why is Hadoop important?
What is this Hadoop buzz all about and why people are eagerly seeking ways to study and learn it? It’s because Hadoop can do the following;
- Quick storage and processor of huge amount of Data – It can store volumes and various forms of data from social media and other information found on the internet.
- Power Computation – It’s designed to process huge and loads of data quickly which means that the more computing nodes you use, the more processing power you have.
- Fault Tolerance – Hadoop store multiple copies of data automatically and its data and application processing are protected against hardware failure, that’s why if a node goes down, jobs are automatically redirected to other nodes to make sure the distributed computing does not fail.
- Flexible Software – One of its unique ability is that you can store as much data as you want without even using it at all, which means that the unstructured data like text, images and videos can be stored there and it’s all up to you when you’d like to use it.
- Low Cost – This Java-based framework is free and uses commodity hardware to store large quantities of data.
- Scalability – You can handle more quantity of data simply by adding nodes.
What are the websites to learn Hadoop online?
This article is no Hadoop, but we know what you want – free online website to learn Hadoop. And guess what? We’ve found 7 free websites to feed your inner geekiness.
Free resources for self learners
1. Yahoo Blog
b. Hadoop in Practice – PDF
c. Download Hadoop Tutorial (PDF Version) by TutorialsPoint
With more than 80 courses on Hadoop, Hbase, Pig, Big Data Analytics, SQL, IBM, BLU, DYB, this website offers online courses in the language of English, Japanese, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian and Polis.
This is an online video course distributed by chapters that targets Administrators, Data Analysts, Data Scientists, and Developers and has free live Hadoop demo that will help you get around the Hadoop hype and environment.
Where just a bunch of online educational community are in aide to feed our desire in engulfing information about internet. With its courses that are offered in partnership with several leading universities, such as UC San Diego, Stanford, Duke and many more, you may be able to access video lectures and certain non-graded assignments for free in all courses. Aside from that, you get to have free and insightful comments from developers and scientists from all over the world. They might as well have share pro-tips in getting around Hadoop.
One of the websites with a lot of free courses, including Hadoop. It has training and tutorials that you’ll need to download and you’ll have to install the Hortonworks Sandbox for better usage of the website. Horton has efficient and precise tutorials that are guaranteed to bring insightful information when it comes to Hadoop.
It gives you fundamentals of big data and Hadoop that’ll give scopes of ideas of Hadoop itself, Hive, Pig, Oozie, and Sqoop. And what’s more inviting is that the courses are translated in English, Chinese, Vietnamese, Portuguese, and Spanish.
Definitely not the least on the list, MapR provides quality Hadoop training courses that includes video lessons, labs, hands-on exercises that might actually lead on to certification as a Hadoop Administrator, Hadoop Data Analyst or a Hadoop Developer. Imagine yourself having called by those names if you’re going to engage yourselves in their Hadoop Essentials, MapR Distribution Essentials, Administration courses, Developing Hadoop Applications and various courses that cover HBase, MapR Streams, Apache Spark, Apache Drill and Apache Hive.